Hibernate

WinXP issues<br>
.:: Preferred language(s): all<br>
.:: Permissions: Registered
geohei
Site Admin

Hibernate

Post by geohei »

The Power options support the Hibernate feature. Till now, I thought this permits to put the computer into Standby (Start -> Shut Down...). However, even after the Hibernate feature is disabled, the "Standby" still appears in the Start -> Shut Down... dialog ?!

Standby = Hibernate ?

Thanks,
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

Hibernate =/= Standby.
The big difference is that when hibernating the PC switches off which is not the case in stby mode.
When hibernating, all the open programms which are loaded into the memory are written to the disk prior to shutting down.
When you switch the PC on again Windows it automatically resumes from the "moment" of hibernation.
In the setup the system requires you to reserve a part of diskspace for that particular task.

In stby mode the PC is still on and Windows is running but i.e. the monitor or harddisks are switched off.
To resume you simple have to press a key or touch your mouse.

The "stby" button always appears but not the "hibernate" button.
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

jc wrote:...
The "stby" button always appears but not the "hibernate" button.
Thanks for the explanations!
However I never saw a hibernate button when shutting down the system. I have 3 of them: "Standby", "Shut Down" and "Restart". Should there be an additional "Hibernate" button in case the hardware supports this?

Thanks,
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

Found in Control Panel > "Power Options Properties" > "Hibernate":

When your computer hibernates, it stores whatever it has in memory on your hard disk and shuts down. When your computer comes out of hibernation, it returns to its previous state.
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

geohei wrote:[...] However I never saw a hibernate button when shutting down the system. I have 3 of them: "Standby", "Shut Down" and "Restart". Should there be an additional "Hibernate" button in case the hardware supports this?
You can either define a button on your keyboard to start the hibernation or set up a time limit using the "Power Schemes" from the "Power Options" (when hibernate is supported and enabled of course).
I'm not sure if you have a fourth button for hibernation in the shutdown menu. :?
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

Is it correct, that the hibernate works more or less on every computer? I.a.w. ... it is less hardware sensitive; every computer can do it. As opposed, I believe that the standby mode requires certian hardware features to be present in order to work properly. Can you confirm all this?

For info ... the hibernate mode created a files, called "hiberfil.sys" in C:\. As soon as Hibernate is deselected, the file is deleted! Saves space for an image backup :).