Windows Security Center

WinXP issues<br>
.:: Preferred language(s): all<br>
.:: Permissions: Registered
geohei
Site Admin

Windows Security Center

Post by geohei »

How can I disable the icon of the Windows Security Center (only after SP2 installation) in the task bar?

It pops up the message "Your computer might be at risk" from time to time.

Thanks,
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

You can either change the way the Security Center alerts you in the "Control Panel > Security Center" or disable the Security Center completely.
I don't know if there is an option like "hide icon in taskbar" for the Security Center.
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

1. As far as I could see, you cannot enable/disable the Firewall in the Security Center, right?

2. When I go to "Network and Internet connection" > "Windows Firewall", I disabled the firewall. On top of this, all "Network Connection Settings" in the "Advanced" tab of the "Windows Firewall" are disabled. Nevertheleww, the Security Center shows that the firewall is on. Any explanation for this?

TIA
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

... found later ...

Kerio 4.1.3 is installed on the system and properly transmits to WinXP the activated thrid party firewall status.

So that's why the Security center showed an ctive firewall.
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

geohei wrote:1. As far as I could see, you cannot enable/disable the Firewall in the Security Center, right?
There is a way. Mine is i.e. not started => disabled.

Code: Select all

The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer ...
I think I did that through disabling the 3 different items that Security Center checks (updates, antivirus software and firewall).
I also unchecked these 3 items in the option "the way Security Center alerts me".

HTH
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

jc wrote:There is a way. Mine is i.e. not started => disabled.
In this case, you also don't have any other installed. Otherwise it would show that the firewall is enabled.
jc wrote:

Code: Select all

The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or was stopped. Please close this window, restart the computer ...
I think I did that through disabling the 3 different items that Security Center checks (updates, antivirus software and firewall).
I also unchecked these 3 items in the option "the way Security Center alerts me".
Hmmm ... disabling the service is not recommended, since it is also used for some other applications. I don't recall where I got this from, but the firewall service should remain started, even if the firewall itself is off.

I'll give it a try in the newsgroups, to see if it's possible to get rid of the icon.
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

geohei wrote:I'll give it a try in the newsgroups, to see if it's possible to get rid of the icon.
Here we go ...
Hallo Georges Heinesch

geh einfach in die Systemsteuerung ->Sicherheitscenter und dann auf der linken Seite "Warnungseinstellungen des Sicherheitscenters ändern"

Georges Heinesch schrieb:

> Hallo.
>
> Besteht die Möglichkeit das Windows Security Center Icon in der Taskbar
> irgendwie abzuschalten?
>
> Es ist mehr als nervend wenn ständig die Warnung kommt Firewall usw.
> wären abgeschaltet.
>
> Grüße,
jc
Posts even during sleep

Post by jc »

geohei wrote:Here we go ...
Hallo Georges Heinesch

geh einfach in die Systemsteuerung ->Sicherheitscenter und dann auf der linken Seite "Warnungseinstellungen des Sicherheitscenters ändern"
Should be the "the Way Security Center alerts me" link in the Security Center, shouldn't it?
geohei
Site Admin

Post by geohei »

jc wrote:Should be the "the Way Security Center alerts me" link in the Security Center, shouldn't it?
Right :!:
Disablig all makes the Security Center alerting system shut up :!: